[ksk-change] FIPS-140 levels

Richard Lamb richard.lamb at icann.org
Sun Oct 5 18:28:28 UTC 2014

Paul-

Thank you for lending your experience and voice of reason.   I agree that
from the perspective of our little community (which includes me) that fips
140 level 4 is a bit overkill.  However, in architecting this system the
target was a much broader audience with the idea that things like DANE and
other key-in-dns technologies may someday bootstrap themselves from the DNS.
Specifically I was thinking of the financial community and how to get their
buy in.  This is what brings in the AICPA/CICA and the SysTrust audit we
pass every year.  Again not because there is anything special about this
process (although I do believe it does help keep ICANN at attention), but
instead as a necessity to get the buy in from the "suits" of the world as
without their trust*, I think we only have an expensive experiment.   But I
am open to discussion and have heard many different suggestions, some very
clever, on how to better manage the root KSK to both simplify and build
trust from certain communities - but do not necessarily fit what auditors
might consider best common practice.
Happy to make happen whatever everyone decides and even have someone change
my mind that we need to make the accountants and lawyers of the world happy
to make DNSSEC successful.

-Rick