[ksk-change] FIPS-140 levels

Richard Lamb richard.lamb at icann.org
Sun Oct 5 19:30:42 UTC 2014

Ooo...Was just trying to be diplomatic .."a bit".  You know that is not my
usual mode :-)

As long as we can "sell" DNSSEC to the wider audience and the community
accepts the risks, I am fine.  The engineering was never really so much of a
problem.

Our auditors have not said anything negative.  Its just if you look at
standard CPSs and have conversations with various auditors - we spent $$ on
advice from many - , there is definitely a common framework that all of the
Webtrust/Systrust audited entities seem to follow, FIPS 140-2 >= level 3
being one.  I am not arguing for any of this at an engineering level.

I know you are much more expert than I in these things and am happy
following my true instincts and creating something based on engineering
logic rather than following the herd*... but my business side says it must
sell.  And selling isn't always based on sense - otherwise I would be rich.
Just want to make sure by tossing out FIPS 140-2 level 3+4 we are not
throwing something useful in promoting DNSSEC to business away.  Its your
call.

Thanks for the offer to help doc and new practices when we take them on. You
are obviously already a sought after member of the community.

We do have a couple new guys who's difficult task it is to maintain the 16+
policy+procedures docs around the root KSK operations that our auditors see.
They are sharp and I am hoping they get up to speed soon.  Tomofumi, Dalini,
and I are tired.

-Rick

*FWIW, personally, I built my own hsm, alarm systems, wrote my own (slow)
RSA+miller rabin, off-line custom s/w signer for my stuff just so I know who
to blame ;-)  .. Id like to use djb curve25519 - is it any good?