[ksk-change] planned vs. emergency (was Re: [ksk-rollover] root zone KSK ...)

Tomofumi Okubo tomofumi.okubo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 05:39:44 UTC 2014

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply.

> On Sep 20, 2014, at 17:58, David Conrad <david.conrad at icann.org> wrote:
>
> Actually, I don’t think we’ve started the discussion on changing the key as yet :).

My bad. I thought it did seeing the lively discussion on the list :-)

> Is there a need to have a different set of policies/processes for an emergency roll vs. a planned roll?

In general, planned operation and emergency (disaster recovery) do
have different set of policies and processes but I believe we can come
up with something all-in-one.

In terms of the mechanics, emergency and planned rollover are the same
however, processes, for example, authorization (who gives the green
light, in what instances, how it is recorded etc...) and notification
(who notifies whom and how) could be slightly different as emergency
rollovers might have tighter time constraints depending on the
situation.

> Is a planned roll a proper subset of an emergency roll?

Yes, I think so. It's just that emergency rollovers would have more provisions.

Thanks!
Tomofumi