[ksk-change] Narrowing the objective of the workshop

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Sep 22 13:32:07 UTC 2014

Greetings. RFC 5011 has very different implications for (a) a root zone with one strong and one weak key, (b) a root zone with two equivalently strong keys, (c) a root zone with multiple strong keys, and so on. Similarly, out-of-band changes to the root zone are very different if they are supposed to replace a root zone key or  add a root zone key.

The initial message for this list said:

Objective

   The purpose of this workshop is to discuss the operational considerations
   of future root zone KSK rollovers, to inform the process of planning and
   executing with maximum visibility and minimum opportunity for disruption.

In order to bound the discussion somewhat and make it more useful, I propose a minor modification:

   The purpose of this workshop is to discuss the operational considerations
   of KSK changes for the current root zone, to inform the process of planning
   and executing with maximum visibility and minimum opportunity for disruption.

That is, my preference is that this discussion is focused on the current root zone (which has one RSA2048 KSK and one RSA1024 ZSK), and the changes that could be made to that specific root zone.

If the root zone changes (and I certainly hope it does), a future discussion can be about that different root zone.

Does this limitation on the discussion make sense?

--Paul Hoffman