[ksk-change] [ksk-rollover] root zone KSK rollover operations workshop planning

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Tue Sep 23 02:02:07 UTC 2014

Hi Andy,

On Sep 22, 2014, at 3:53 AM, Andy Linton <asjl at lpnz.org> wrote:

> My understanding of the specs of the HSMs used in the current key ceremonies is that they have a lifetime of around 5 years. Does this need to be factored into the planning for KSK rollover?

The short answer is no. Irrespective of the work on KSK rollover, our intention is to either replace or augment the existing HSMs with new units next year. If there is a key rollover and it nicely aligns to this schedule, great, but I don't think the two activities are necessarily aligned.

The HSMs report their battery status upon use and all are reporting good battery condition. We have spoken with the vendor and they have indicated they are expected to last more than 5 years. There seems to be no reason for immediate concern however we are taking a conservative approach to it.

kim