[ksk-change] Background Info: Public comments on KSK rollover from early 2013, also SSAC report

Dan York york at isoc.org
Thu Sep 25 16:20:57 UTC 2014

A question was raised back in the early threads about the perceived operational reasons to roll the KSK.  I think for some of that we can go back to the public consultation ICANN performed about the KSK rollover back in early 2013:

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/root-zone-consultation-2013-03-08-en

A report summarizing the public comments is available here:

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/report-comments-root-zone-consultation-08apr14-en.pdf

That document also contains the list of "ICANN Recommendations" that were given to the ICANN Board.

The public comments themselves, many submitted by people on this list including myself, are available individually here:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-root-zone-consultation-08mar13/

Additionally, SSAC released SAC063 with their advice on DNSSEC Key Rollover in November 2013:

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-063-en.pdf

All of those documents do provide some background information into the views of various people and organizations into the implications of a KSK rollover and also motivation for the views of most that we need to roll the KSK sooner rather than later.

I would also note that on November 21, 2013, the ICANN Board adopted a resolution directing ICANN's President and CEO to evaluate the SSAC advice and provide a recommendation to the board regarding the acceptance of that advice within 90 days:

https://features.icann.org/board-advice#advice-to-board_f=dnssec%20key%20rollover&advice-to-board_d=false&advice-to-board_e=18

... which would have been back in March 2014.  As Joe Abley mentioned in another thread, the subsequent IANA Transition issue seems to have taken priority over this (and most other actions).

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/