[ksk-rollover] Current status of KSK-RollOver?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Aug 29 08:07:55 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 07:42:14AM +0000,
 David Conrad <david.conrad at icann.org> wrote
 a message of 322 lines which said:

> The decision to move forward is on the agenda for the upcoming Board
> workshop in Brussels on Sept 15.

Which means that we will be able to outreach seriously with the local
"community" less than one month before the event. IMHO, this is too
short. I thought it was decided a long time ago :-(

> We (staff) appreciate any input on the KSK rollover the community
> might offer

There are three good reasons NOT to delay any further:

1) there is no serious perspective to get more information in the near
future. We have to accept the (very moderate) uncertainty.

2) Even if we had perfect information about the broken resolvers,
there are sysadmins that will do nothing until the day before (and
even some that will do nothing until the day after…) We cannot wait to
have 0 % issues.

3) The most important reason is communication: there are already
sysadmins who told me "Oh, I won't do anything, I'm certain it will be
postponed again". If we postpone one more time, nobody will take
seriously the third announced date.