[ksk-rollover] Current status of KSK-RollOver?

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Aug 29 09:23:13 UTC 2018

Domain incite wrote a piece on this.
http://domainincite.com/23353-icann-faces-critical-choice-as-security-experts-warn-against-key-rollover

I understood from that article,  that SSAC generally agreed that the
roll-over should happen but five (out of 22) were not in agreement.

I also understand that the "risk" (of collateral damage)  is now acceptable.

Personally, I hope the Board agrees to go ahead with the key-rollover.
That Lithium battery inside the HSM with its five year life expectancy
is in its sixth (or so) year? I'm actually eager to see what happens and
expect almost no negative impact. I believe that the majority of Broken
stuff in DNSSEC aware recursive resolvers will be fixed very quickly and
sincerely hope no one goes around removing DS records.

I live in South Africa where just under 50% (according to
https://stats.labs.apnic.net/dnssec) of people use a DNSSEC aware
recursive resolver. The ZACR (South African Central Registry) has done
about 10 years of free DNS/DNSSEC teaching to the ISP community, which I
was personally involved in. I'm obviously hoping for Zero issues. (I
like to think that the 50% is somewhat due to those twice-a-year
workshops :)

On 08/29/2018 09:42 AM, David Conrad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The decision to move forward is on the agenda for the upcoming Board
> workshop in Brussels on Sept 15.
>
> Staff is recommending moving forward based on the information we have,
> however it is the Board that will be voting the final decision
> regarding following the revised plan which proposing putting the new
> KSK in use on 11 Oct 2018.
>
> We (staff) appreciate any input on the KSK rollover the community
> might offer (we’re writing the Board resolution and supporting paper now).
>
> Regards,
> -drc
>
>> On Aug 29, 2018, at 12:36 AM, Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net
>> <mailto:mehmet at akcin.net>> wrote:
>>

>> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ksk-rollover-expect-22aug18-en.pdf
>>

>> “Currently planned for 11 October 2018..” I interpret this as “we are
>> moving forward”
>>
>> I might be wrong, but that’s my understanding..
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 12:32 AM Kal <icann at feherfamily.org
>> <mailto:icann at feherfamily.org>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 29 Aug 2018, at 17:22, Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net
>>     <mailto:mehmet at akcin.net>> wrote:
>>
>>>     My understanding (correct me if I am mistaken here)... that they
>>>     are proceeding as planned.
>>>
>>     No, the ICANN board will give a hopefully clear and emphatic
>>     go/no go decision at the next board meeting.
>>>     On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 12:21 AM Stephane Bortzmeyer
>>>     <bortzmeyer at nic.fr <mailto:bortzmeyer at nic.fr>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 12:08:59AM -0700,
>>>          Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net <mailto:mehmet at akcin.net>>
>>>         wrote
>>>          a message of 106 lines which said:
>>>
>>>         > I wanted to chime in and support ICANN's decision on
>>>         proceeding with
>>>         > the plan of rolling KSK 11 October 2018 as planned.
>>>
>>>         Me too, but can we say there was a decision? I understood
>>>         that, less
>>>         than two months before the event, it is still not "decided"
>>>         (as in
>>>         "decided by the management").

>> --
>> Mehmet
>> +1-424-298-1903

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496