[ksk-rollover] Suggested update to the key ceremonies.

Michael StJohns msj at nthpermutation.com
Wed Feb 21 16:50:28 UTC 2018

On 2/21/2018 10:25 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Warren's point (which many other people gave a +1 to, and IANA said they intend to implement) is not to prevent two identical keytags in the root zone DNSKEY RRset (Mike) or anywhere in the root zone (Ed), it is to prevent confusion in other places where the key tag is used, such as trust anchor stores. The key tag is used in many places where an operator would enter, or at least check, the trust anchors.

Um any code stupid enough to use the key tag as a solid handle for the
key should be ripped out and stomped on.  AFAICT, the key tag
calculation is no better than a CRC in cryptographic strength - and only
16 bits at that.  What should be happening is that entering the
presentation form of the DS as a trust anchor should grab the referred
to DNSKEY, do a calculation and compare the calculated trust anchor key
tag to the entered one.  I'd surprised if enough implementations do that.

>> So if you're really going down this path, you've probably got a lot more work than just checking against older KSKs.
> I fully disagree with this, and with Ed's assertions. Checking for a matching key tag in the current and previous KSK set is sufficient to reduce ambiguity for manual use of key tags, which is what Warren's suggestion was about.
So what you're saying is that you're going to conditionally repeat an
operation that has a ritual associated with it  (and indeed modify the
ritual so this happens) until you get non-matching key tags for the sole
purpose of someone later on looking at the key and saying "not a
match".   A complex ritual with specific requirements and a large cost
in human time... OK.

Key tags exist on DS records and RRSig records.  In the DS records, the
hash of the key is a better handle to differentiate possibly matching
keys.  In the RRSig records - you're kind of stuck in that you possibly
don't know who of multiple possibilities signed the record until after
you've checked all of the tag matching signing keys.

To his basic point of RFC8145 and KSK sentinel - if you're using the Key
Tag as a handle then all of the "you must accept ambiguity" stuff from
Appendix B of RFC4034 applies.  Perhaps using something other than the
key tag (e.g. hash of the public key - the first and last 4 bytes of the
public value of the key... ) might have been smarter.  Say something
with at least 32 and preferably 64 bits of uniqueness rather than the 16
bits of the key tag.

So my base point is - don't try to fix the wrong problem.  Key tags are
what they are and will remain as such.  With 16 bits, collisions are
inevitable at some point and may actually occur *after* the keys are
generated (- revoked keys).  Fix 8145 and KSK sentinel instead.

(And by the way - does any of the 8145 or KSK sentinel implementations
correctly match a revoked key with its unrevoked brother?)

Later, Mike