[ksk-rollover] Starting discussion on acceptable criteria for proceeding with the root KSK roll

S Moonesamy sm+icann at elandsys.com
Fri Jan 5 10:03:56 UTC 2018

Hi Geoff,
At 04:19 PM 04-01-2018, Geoff Huston wrote:
>Carlos, (I'm asking because you posted a "me
>too") what is the data set you are using to
>justify this call to be "over soon"? It seems
>to me that in the absence of new data, the only
>changed factor is your own appetite for risk.
>Without additional data, your tolerance for risk
>appears to increase over time (*). But is this
>altered personal perception of the risk
>sufficient motivation to proceed? Objectively,
>if the numbers in September 2017 gave sufficient
>grounds to pause, and the numbers haven't
>changed (**) then surely the grounds for pausing
>the operation as as strong now as they were in September (***).

There is the following in the KSK rollover plan:
"The Design Team is unaware of what specific
objectives would be achieved by delaying a KSK
roll".  The plan was put on hold because of the
data from September 2017.  At the moment it is
unknown if/when there will be a KSK roll.  Is not
doing a KSK roll by 2020 [1] a viable option?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. The date is based on a statement in the DPS.