[ksk-rollover] Starting discussion on acceptable criteria for proceeding with the root KSK roll

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat Jan 6 20:32:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 11:19:17AM +1100,
 Geoff Huston <gih at apnic.net> wrote
 a message of 44 lines which said:

> So if you want to show that at its heart the Internet is still the
> wild west and we work on gut instincts and disregard data that
> appears to contradict such instincts, then by all means please roll
> the key.

Yeah, I like that! Let's press the Button!

But, seriously, your framing of the issues is not complete. We should
not look just at the risk of rolling the key, but also at the risk of
not rolling it: demonstration of failure (we cannot follow "our" own
DPS), erosion of trust, risk if we are forced one day to roll the
key. The divide is not between wise and experimented people on one
side, and irresponsible trigger-happy mavericks on the other. There
are risks on both sides.