[ksk-rollover] ICANN board meeting result and the Current status of KSK-Rollover

Anne-Marie Eklund-Löwinder anne-marie.eklund-lowinder at iis.se
Tue Sep 18 06:35:43 UTC 2018

David,

Do I sense some sarcasm in your answer? Even though I am of the opinion that operational matters shouldn't be a topic for the board at all, I respect that ICANN have come to another conclusion. I am afraid though, that you (ICANN) underestimate the attention put on this from a lot of people with interest in the dnssec, especially the key rollover. Only last week I gave three presentations about dnssec, what, how and why, two in Stockholm and one in Dublin, where the DNSSEC key ceremonies and especially the key rollover was an important part. On top of that I gave two interviews, one for Computer Sweden and one for the largest daily Swedish newspaper, Dagens Nyheter. IIS are working close together with Swedish authorities and ISP's to make sure they are up to date with the progress.
By the end of this month the largest Swedish dairy provider (!) will tell the story about dnssec and the key on the milk boxes.

In this context communication and transparency is important. You've been aware of when the decision should be made, messages could have been prepared in beforehand whether it would have been a yes, proceed or no, postpone, at least for the mailing lists. If the board consider it so important that they have a meeting on a Sunday, then the conclusion that people would like to have the result instantly is not very surprising, is it?

Looking forward to further and more detailed information on the official web site, the twitter account and the mailing lists!

Kind regards,

Anne-Marie Eklund Löwinder
Chief Information Security Officer
The Swedish Internet Foundation, IIS