[ksk-rollover] ICANN board meeting result and the Current status of KSK-Rollover

Ólafur Guðmundsson olafur at cloudflare.com
Tue Sep 18 17:13:33 UTC 2018

David , Olaf,
I understand both of your points of view,
I think we need a bigger conversation about Algorithm roll, i.e. if that is
a good idea and what algorithm to roll to

But this conversation can take place in after October 13'th

Olafur

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:29 AM, David Conrad <david.conrad at icann.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We (ICANN org) don’t have an opinion (individual staff members with their
> ICANN hats off might :)).
>
> As you’re probably aware, currently, the DPS states (paraphrasing) we
> should roll the KSK after 5 years from the point the KSK is put into use.
> As such, the next roll is anticipated to be after 11 Oct 2023.
>
> However, as Matt said, we listen to the community. If the community would
> like us to roll more frequently, all that we in staff need to know is what
> that frequency is. There are, of course, operational costs associated with
> the roll, both at ICANN org as well as within the resolver operators
> community (at least for those folks who prefer to roll manually) that will
> vary depending on roll frequency, but presumably those costs won’t be too
> outrageous.
>
> The next step would probably be to figure out how to get a consensus on
> what the frequency should be. I’d think that a 'post mortem' report about
> the current rollover would be helpful in informing that consensus. The
> Board has already task ICANN org with putting together such a post mortem
> (the analysis Matt mentioned).
>
> Regards,
> -drc
>
> On Sep 18, 2018, at 3:44 AM, Olaf Kolkman <kolkman at isoc.org> wrote:
>
> I agree with Michael, albeit I would phrase it slightly differently:
>
> Rolling the key regularly is a strategic choise and makes a keyroll an
> operational reality.
>
> How regular (or how frequent) is a tactic. Whether That is yearly, no
> monthly or once half a decade is a tactic that takes into account some of
> our learnings.
>
> I would really like to see that strategic position being explicit.
>

> Olaf.
>
> ----
> Composed on mobile device, with clumsy thumbs and unpredictable
> autocorrect.

Ólafur Gudmundsson | Engineering Director
www.cloudflare.com blog.cloudflare.com