[ksk-rollover] ICANN board meeting result and the Current status of KSK-Rollover

Anne-Marie Eklund-Löwinder anne-marie.eklund-lowinder at iis.se
Wed Sep 19 08:08:22 UTC 2018

Hi,

If ICANN would have followed the DPS the key roll had already taken place, in 2015, so it seems to be room for flexibility, and 20203 might not be the perfect time span. That said, it is important to discuss what frequency for rolling keys should be optimal. When .se used to be the trust anchor for dnssec for our part of the internet, we rolled once a year. Generation of a new KSK took place every year in mid December. The validity time for a KSK was two years. This meant that we had two keys that had a validity period that overlapped with one year. The frequency was chosen by the fact that it should not be carried out to often to put a burden on resolver operators and others in the community, but often enough to make sure that the operations team didn't forget how to do it. That was of course before RFC 5011.

I agree that a "post mortem" report about the current key rollover will be a good starting point for such discussion.

Kind regards,

Anne-Marie Eklund Löwinder
Chief Information Security Officer
IIS (The Internet Infrastructure Foundation)
Phone: +46 734 315 310
https://www.iis.se

Visitors: Hammarby Kaj 10D
Mail: Box 92073, 120 07 Stockholm