[ksk-rollover] ICANN board meeting result and the Current status of KSK-Rollover

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Fri Sep 21 15:12:39 UTC 2018

On 21 Sep 2018, at 11:05, Eric Osterweil wrote:

> I think the setting of this discussion is missing some key elements:
> the DNS Root KSK is a global root of trust.  The extent to which we
> build on that is the extent to which software will need for this key
> to be well known, knowable, and learnable.  As the frequency of its
> rollover increases, so too does the probability that software will
> have out of date keys (especially I the context of hyperlocal roots).
> If you factor DANE in, that root has even more importance to end-user
> perception.  I think it needs to be a top priority to ensure that DNS
> Relying Party (RP) software knows how to maintain the current key,
> keep up with rollovers, and re-bootstrap when it loses the correct key
> (a failure mode that software absolutely will experience).  As of now,
> I don’t think we have more than a few nascent ideas about how to
> handle this.

right but:
- people are lazy: until there are real events (KSK rollover), they will
not care or prepare. Therefore, we must have rollover enough frequent so
people do act.
- there are mechanisms to help/automate rollover, such as RFC5011, which
shall fit with most use cases.
- for the use cases/reasons people not use RFC5011, then it is like any
manual configuration management: you take the responsability to put
whatever process in your org to handle that case, since you are aware
that you are taking the manual route.

my 2c

Marc.