[ksk-rollover] Thoughts on future KSK Rolls

Tim April timapril at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 01:09:11 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 5:56 PM Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that we need to pay any attention to holidays, or even
> weekends.  Although I'm willing to be.
>
> If 5011 is well deployed, and we're testing it every year or two though
> root KSK rolls, why are we concerned about the day of the week that a
> change gets applied?  The Internet is 24x7, after all.  What is the middle
> of the night on a holiday, for you, is business hours on a workday for
> someone else.  I can't imagine that we could avoid holidays in a balanced
> way.

Very true. The only reason I had included that was some complaints on some
operator lists about making operational changes on weekends or Fridays (i
assume the complaints would carry over to major holidays as well). My
guess, with no data to support it, is that after another roll or two the
desire for the complicated scheduling would relax.