[ksk-rollover] Retention of the 2010 KSK CONSIDERED HARMFUL

Michael StJohns msj at nthpermutation.com
Tue Apr 2 13:33:52 UTC 2019

*sigh*  Sorry for top posting but...

It is a _*monumentally bad idea*_ to retain revoked key material -
especially when you don't actually have any way to use it.   There's a
term for holding on to something when you think it *might* be useful in
the future but have no idea whether it will be - it's called "hoarding"
and can be a form of mental illness depending on how extreme it gets.
Then there's the problem that as a "revoked" key, we really don't have a
model for how the key material should be protected - e.g. it's not live,
and it's not going to be live ever again but what happens if the worst
case happens and the private key is compromised a year or so later?
Especially since as a "revoked" key it should be harmless and maybe we
don't take enough care to protect it.

As a general model, information can be created but not destroyed.  HSMs
(and some uses of cryptography) allow us to finesse that a slight bit
through a few different methods - e.g. never allowing the key material
to leave the HSM, or if it does leave the HSM by never allowing the keys
used to encrypt the backup to never leave the HSM (or the HSM smart
cards).  The destruction of the key within the HSM used to encrypt the
live signing key or its backup turns that information into nothing more
than random bits.  The HSM substitutes programmed policy (i.e. we can
use the key, but we can't see that key value) for information theory and
allows for a semblance of destruction of information.

At this point, two things should have happened:  The 2010 key should
have been removed from the HSM(s), and the HSM(s) should have changed
its backup keys to invalidate all the externally held backup material
for the 2010 key.  If both of these haven't happened, then we're not
quite done yet.

Deciding on the fly that it might be a good idea to hold on to a key who
for all of the 5011 resolvers is so many random bits, but for the
non-5011 resolvers who may have not gotten a manual update of the
revocation could still be used to sign the root DNSKEY RRSet doesn't
seem to be to be either prudent or in keeping with the agreed upon key
management plan. In fact it could be dangerous to keep that key around
in any form.

So to recap:  1) No current resolver should have any way to use this key
except to validate its revocation, 2) any resolver that is still able to
use this key is mis-configured and vulnerable to getting bad
information, 3) it's way in the future where you might have a resolver
which could use this key safely (e.g. in a way that doesn't end up with
the installation of bad trust anchors), and 4) given that we don't need
to start from the 2010 state of the root trust anchor set for things
programmed in 2019 and later, then 5) ITS A REALLY BAD IDEA TO KEEP THIS
KEY AROUND

This is not a case where holding on to the past preserves the future.

Later, Mike