[ksk-rollover] Retention of the 2010 KSK CONSIDERED HARMFUL

Michael StJohns msj at nthpermutation.com
Tue Apr 2 16:49:02 UTC 2019

On 4/2/2019 11:53 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:

>   * It is a *_monumentally bad idea_* to retain revoked key material
>
> +1, +2, +1000!
>
> If you want a chain of trust, when you generate key “N+1” sign it with
> key “N”.  Repeat for each generation.

The problem with this is that you need to know *when* N signed N+1, and
you can't believe N about the time.  (E.g. in 2020, I use key 2010 to
sign key 2017 well after 2010 was revoked, at the same time I sign
Fake2017, and lead a chain of trust through Fake2017 for future
signings).   This problem is at the root of why a simple chain of trust
won't work.  I'm trying to figure out a way to mix-in something to tie
each transaction to a point in time (or at least an order in time) in a
manner that possession of a key (revoked or not) earlier in the chain
doesn't allow you to lie about what comes after.    I don't know that
its possible to do that automatically.  It may require a human making a
trust decision based on other non-DNS information.

[5011 works because each resolver updates its state as things happen, so
twiddling with the signing chain a year or two after a key is revoked
won't cause the resolver to update its state as the key is either not in
trust anchor set, or is there in a revoked state.  Trying to replicate
this behavior with a resolver that's been offline for two years just
won't work].

>   * This is not a case where holding on to the past preserves the future.
>
> Nice turn of phrase!

Thanks!

Mike