[ksk-rollover] RFC 5011 will not be implemented in Dnsmasq

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Sat Jan 12 19:30:47 UTC 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 09:42, Lars-Johan Liman <liman at netnod.se> wrote:

> Unforutnately the business model isn't broken at all - if you see it as
> exactly that: a BUSINESS model. The box stops working, it gets tossed.
> The user buys a new one that works.

 Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I suspect that the next one the
customer buys isn't going to be from the same manufacturer.  And, there
will probably be conversations along the lines of:
"I need to get a new wifi router."
"Don't buy an X one.. mine stopped working after a year."

If the customer is slightly more savvy than usual, that might continue with:
"I googled ways to fix it and found someone who said they didn't support
some important thing.  I found this other company that makes one that will
support it."