[ksk-rollover] IoT devices and KSK rollover

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jul 1 23:10:47 UTC 2019

> On 2 Jul 2019, at 12:57 am, Michael Casadevall <michael at casadevall.pro> wrote:
>
> Very belated reply here, but we need to remember that DNSSEC information
> is not sent to the end-client nodes (stub resolvers); the recursive
> resolver is supposed to check DNSSEC information and then confirm
> authentication via a bit in the DNS options flag. This also means that
> recursive resolvers can lie about DNSSEC or simply choose not to
> validate (or the client can request no DNSSEC with the CD bit)

What a load of hogwash.  DNSSEC is designed and expected to be performed
by *every* entity in the resolution chain.  The AD bit is only supposed
to be accepted if there is a secure path between the recursive resolver
and the application.  99.999999999% of the time this is not the case unless
you are talking to 127.0.0.1 or ::1.

There are applications that perform DNSSEC through stub resolvers.

> As such, a KSK rollover should not directly affect stub resolvers as
> long as their resolver resolver setup has up to date root KSK
> information. If we're dealing with a device acting as a router running a
> recursive resolver, obviously the above goes out the window.

This is short sighted thinking.  One should design for ubiquitous DNSSEC
regardless of whether it is achieved or not.  This lets those that want
DNSSEC all the way to the application have it.