[ksk-rollover] followup of DNSSEC Workshop at ICANN64

Erwin Lansing erwin at dk-hostmaster.dk
Fri Mar 22 08:34:22 UTC 2019

Thanks again for a yet another great DNSSEC workshop in Kobe!

Let me chime in and recap what I said at the meeting.  I’m for regular rolling of the root KSK. Less than 5 years, which is too long to keep institutional and operational memory, but no more than every year, which would just be too much churn.  Since we’re not in any hurry, I would use some time to look more into the strange increases we’ve seen, but it is not something that keeps me up at night.

With regards to online standby keys, it needs to be seen in a holistic way. What threats or scenarios are those keys trying to mitigate?  Do they actually provide the security we think they do? E.g. if the active and standby keys are generated in the same HSM, it is no protection from an HSM compromise. What new vulnerabilities do published standby keys pose? With all the lessons learned since 2010, let’s go back to defining the problem we’re trying to solve, rather than having standby keys as a solution looking for a problem.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Erwin Lansing
Head of Security & Chief Technologist

[cid:image001.png at 01D407D6.ABC8B400][cid:image008.png at 01D407D6.CD80C0B0]<https://www.facebook.com/dkhostmaster><https://www.facebook.com/dkhostmaster><https://www.facebook.com/dkhostmaster><https://www.facebook.com/dkhostmaster><https://www.facebook.com/dkhostmaster><https://www.facebook.com/dkhostmaster> <https://www.facebook.com/dkhostmaster> [cid:image009.png at 01D407D6.CD80C0B0] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/dk-hostmaster-as> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/dk-hostmaster-as> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/dk-hostmaster-as> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/dk-hostmaster-as> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/dk-hostmaster-as> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/dk-hostmaster-as>  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/dk-hostmaster-as>

<http://www.internetdagen.dk/>DK Hostmaster A/S • Ørestads Boulevard 108, 11. sal • 2300 København S
+45 2980 9214 •  erwin at dk-hostmaster.dk • www.dk<http://www.dk>-hostmaster.dk<http://hostmaster.dk>
[cid:image007.png at 01D407D6.ABC8B400]

This is an email from DK Hostmaster A/S. This message may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.