[ksk-rollover] followup of DNSSEC Workshop at ICANN64

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Fri Mar 22 10:50:57 UTC 2019

Ondrej,

On 14/03/2019 14.57, Ondrej Filip wrote:
> On 14. 03. 19 12:01, Warren Kumari wrote:
>>

>> So, my original "gut feel" was approximately every year, and I still
>> feel that that is roughly the right frequency -- but, I think that we
>> first need to figure out what the cause of the increase in DNSKEY
>> lookups is - it concerns me that we predicted no impact from the
>> revocation, and we got... this. I think that, assuming we figure out
>> the causes of the increase (and understand them well enough that we
>> are fairly sure that they won't jump again!), my gut still says ~1year
>> -- but, more research needed...
>
> As a producer of a DNS validating CPE device/router, I must say, I am
> not very excited about frequent roll-overs. If your device stays at a
> retailer store for some time, you might be in a trouble. So I would
> prefer some longer periods. But it is more important how much in
> advance is the new key known/published.

As far as I know, patching is still the only solution we have to
securing software on the Internet. That means there must be some way to
get software updates to the device.

A device can detect a mismatch between the root KSK that it has and the
one at the root servers. In that case, it can disable the root trust
anchor until it updates the KSK, in whatever way it thinks is reliable
enough - probably by updating the package that configured the KSK.

My own suggestion would be to include a trust anchor for a zone that
serves updated software, since that would minimize the risk of being
sent to bogus servers looking for updates. This trust anchor can live
forever if you want, because of the awesome decision that DNSKEY records
have no lifetime. 😉 Presumably any software update mechanism has its
own signatures as well, so the chances of actually getting invalid
updates seems minimal.

There is already a need to disable DNSSEC at certain times, for example
before a device has synchronized its clock, so fiddling with trust
anchors is probably something that the device has to do anyway.

Maybe someone already has BCP in this area written down? If not, maybe
it should be?

Cheers,

--
Shane