[ksk-rollover] suggestions for deciding on key roll timing

Wes Hardaker wjhns1 at hardakers.net
Thu Mar 28 08:42:35 UTC 2019

I just mentioned this at a mic, and I'm re-broadcasting it here:

I believe we should consider two different elements separately for
deciding future key-roll strategies:

1) When we should perform the next roll
2) What frequency we should use between future rolls after the next

And for #1, I believe we shouldn't be thinking about time at all, but
rather we should create two lists of MUSTs and MAYs for rolling next,
and ensures all MUSTs are handled.

The MUST and MAY list should include both "do this" type entries, as
well as "think about this (again)" type entries.  After thinking about
the later "think about" items, they may, of course, turn into "do this"
type entries.

tl;dr: we need a list of blockers that must be dealt with before rolling.
--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI