[ksk-rollover] (Un)planning future KSK replacements

Lars-Johan Liman liman at netnod.se
Fri Mar 29 11:24:54 UTC 2019

ebersman> It is not the IETF's job to tell large ISP that they must do
ebersman> 5011. We need to consider that the world will never be all
ebersman> 5011 and that alternate automation methods are valid and how
ebersman> we'd address that in an emergency.

mcr> I don't really understand the long-term reasons for not doing 5011.
mcr> Can you explain this further?

list-ksk-rollover at dragon.net:
> Phased rollout and control of when things change.

Aye.

I agree that we shouldn't prescribe how people automate, or even that
they do it at all. 5011 is _one_ way to do it, and I happen to like it,
but that doesn't mean that it is good for $everybody.

If $someone prefers to do it manually, be my guest, but $they should
make d---ed sure to actually do it or be prepared to live with the
consequences from not doing it. It will be an error-prone recurring pain
that _I_ don't like to feel but $someone could have a pain addiction
that I'm glad I don't have. :-)

So: live and let live. Either automate (somehow!) or don't complain! :-)

				Cheers,
				  /Liman