[ksk-rollover] Starting date for the proposed root zone KSK rollover scheme

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 9 17:00:20 UTC 2020

I appreciate that the period for official comments on the new framework
has closed as of 31 January, but if I were to make an individual submission
it would perhaps concentrate on the following point. Other issues (algorithm
rollover, standby keys, emergency rollovers) have been well covered in
existing submissions.

No specific date is proposed for starting up the new scheme, perhaps to
avoid appearing to assume community acceptance in advance. If stage A for
the next KSK occurs in 2020Q2, this should lead to a planned rollover on
11 October 2022, four years after the previous one. If the other matters
are to be postponed for consideration only in subsequent rollovers (which
does seem reasonable) then this schedule is acceptable, but any further
delay is to my mind undesirable.

This would imply work to be done to generate the new KSK as part of the
key ceremony already announced for 23 April 2020. I would urge ICANN to
proceed on that basis, even if there remains some contention about the
new scheme at that time. It would not be necessary to advertise the new
KSK in any way at that stage - indeed, it could be removed from the KMF
again subsequently if there was a decision to use some other incompatible
scheme.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk