[ksk-rollover] Root Zone KSK Rollover and HSM Update

Frederico A C Neves fneves at registro.br
Mon Jul 31 12:53:28 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 02:03:59PM +0200, Olaf Kolkman via ksk-rollover wrote:

> I wonder if the functionality we rely on is standardized enough to
> procure from different vendors, that would reduce the risk in single
> vendor vulnerabilities, like a batch of faulty condensers, or other on
> pront hardware.

>From our experience besides admin interfaces, standard APIs for
regular operations, generating keys, sign, verify etc... are available
(PKCS#11/KMIP) from multiple vendors. But exporting/importing a key,
specially with the no-export attribute set, among vendors is not
available.

So to switch vendors you'll need to do a keyroll still having access
to the old HSMs.

> — Olaf

Fred