[ksk-rollover] ICANN to generate new KSK

Michael StJohns msj at nthpermutation.com
Thu Feb 29 18:21:24 UTC 2024

Hi -

The product brief for the Luna USB G7 doesn't provide a lot of data.
The previous HSM provided level four hardware protection - e.g. a tamper
perimeter and the ability to zeroize the keys if someone tried to decap
the thing.  That's almost entirely dependent on having a constant power
source - usually a three stage line/battery/capacitor model.

On the PCI cards, there's a Li ion battery - a rather large one - on the
card just in front of the tamper covered HSM engine.  See
https://thalesdocs.com/gphsm/luna/7/docs/pci/Content/install/pci_hw_install/battery_replace.htm

The older luna USB HSM had a battery compartment - I can't see one on
the images I've been able to find of the current one.  It was also a
most Level 2 device with L3 security.

My questions are these: Is there an internal battery? Is it replaceable?
How often does this USB HSM need to be plugged into power to maintain
the internal battery? What happens if you leave it in a safe for a year
- or alternately, how long can the unit remain unplugged before it wipes
its keys?  What's the lifetime of the battery before replacement?

Later, Mike