[Latingp] Questions for Vietnamese language experts

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 10:18:45 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

I have drafted the following questions for Vietnamese language experts after our Tuesday meeting:

==
The Unicode CLDR (Common Locale Data Repository) lists the following letters for Vietnamese:

a à ả ã á ạ ă ằ ẳ ẵ ắ ặ â ầ ẩ ẫ ấ ậ b c d đ e è ẻ ẽ é ẹ ê ề ể ễ ế ệ f g h i ì ỉ ĩ í ị j k l m n o ò ỏ õ ó ọ ô ồ ổ ỗ ố ộ ơ ờ ở ỡ ớ ợ p q r s t u ù ủ ũ ú ụ ư ừ ử ữ ứ ự v w x y ỳ ỷ ỹ ý ỵ z

(See www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/28/summary/vi.html<http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/28/summary/vi.html> .)

1.    Are any other letters in use?

2.    Some of the diacritics are used to indicate tone – is Vietnamese ever written with a simpler set of Latin letters without tone marks? (For example, Pinyin Běijīng is sometimes written as Beijing, without tone marks.)

3.    Are some of the letters listed not in use?
==

I would really welcome your improvements.

Regards,

Chris.
--
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon>