[Latingp] LGP face-to-face meeting notes

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Oct 19 21:44:29 UTC 2015

Meikal,

I tried Chinuk and got nothing. When I tried Chinook there were some
hits, the first being to the Duployan Script (the subject of shorthands,
missionaries, and syllabaries is worth a beer on its own), which
wouldn't be of the slightest use. When I clicked on the "sources" field
I see lots of Omniglot and Ethnolog and ISO 639 and Glottolog and OLAC
and UNESCO links. Nothing useful.

But none to the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde, which is the
recognized authority for modern Chinuk, and oddly enough, how I learned
Chinuk.

I also tried Abenaki and got another set of useless links to ISO639:3
code points. Nothing pointing to either the Odenak or Becancour
Reserves, PQ, Canada, where Western Abenaki is taught, nor to Old Town
or Indian Island or Pleasant Point, Maine, USA, where Eastern Abenaki is
taught.

Next I tried Siksika, since I happen to have the Siksikai'powahsin
series for Siksika language learners (and know the consultant to the
project ), again, just a bunch of ISO 639 and similarly useless
"sources". Nothing from Treaty 7, nor from the Montana located Tribe
(Old Sun School, etc.).

While I wouldn't mind assistance, I'd prefer the assistance of someone
working in the field of teaching a native language, or with ... what do
we say ... a relationship with the community.

Cheers,
Eric