[Latingp] For consideration at LGP first meeting (Agenda point 4)

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 17 10:54:03 UTC 2015

Dear Paul & Meikal,

Thank you for your comments.

1) "Finally, in investigating the possible variant relations, Generation Panels should ignore cases where the relation is based exclusively on aspects of visual similarity."
I think this may mean variant code point relations, but certainly needs clarifying. If my understanding is correct it would mean that Latin o and the identical Armenian letter would not be declared universally as variant code points.

2) I shall save my comments on this point, as I would not want to influence people in a particular direction.

3) As you write, and also according to B.3.2 in the Procedure to develop and maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in respect of IDNA labels, mixed script labels at the Top Level currently seem unlikely. They do exist at lower levels, usually involving the Latin script or Arabic numerals and another script. If my understanding is correct, the issue is whole Armenian labels that are visually similar to whole Latin labels.

I think this is why we are being asked to comment.

Regards,

Chris.
--
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon>