[Latingp] Future of LGP and the vacant chair

Emblen-Jarrett, Scott scott.emblen-jarrett.11 at alumni.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 14:05:00 UTC 2016

Dear LGP Members,

I am sorry to hear about the departure of Chris Dillon; it was through speaking to him that got me involved in the LGP and I have only just now found out about so I am sorry to hear that I will be unable to work with him as part of the panel. I'm writing with regards to the message about the LGRs Sarmad sent around yesterday/the day before and the feedback that needs to be given. What form should the feedback or my own feedback take? This may be a slightly naive question but as I am new to the panel any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated and will facilitate my involvement at this early stage.

I also wanted to say something about the search for a new chair; although I am a very new member of the group I would certainly be interested or willing to put myself forward as chair or joint chair. As a native English speaker I would have no issues with issuing communiqués and there would be a chair with a native language which uses the Latin script as suggested by Ahmed. Additionally I am rather flexible and free in terms of time due to my current line of work and my linguistic experience (both in terms of linguistics and language learning) covers a wide range of areas and languages and therfore could be of use. The technical/computer side of things however is the area in which I lack experience, but I am eager to learn and willing to get stuck in so as to ensure the group can succesfully continue with its very important work. A co-chair with more experience in software would therefore be useful if I were to take up the role, or indeed if you all can help me get started in the group and give me guidance on what to do and how to do it then I would be more than happy to put myself forward for the role of some form of chair.

Best wishes

Scott