[Latingp] Digraphs

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 29 07:54:31 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

Mirjana’s recent research on Montenegrin has raised some interesting issues.

One of them is diagraphs.
Currently we have digraphs like æ and œ in our repertoire, but Dutch ij (U+0133) as in vijf ‘five’ is white in MSR-2 (not compatible with IDNA 2008). Certainly many digraphs, including ij are visually similar to their component letters. We could consider adding all digraphs to the list of criteria for exclusion, or adding them with exceptions (less good from a usability point of view). Incidentally, ß and & are probably excluded for other reasons, Longevity Principle and Punctuation, respectively.

What do you think?

Francais: Qu’est-ce qu’on devrait faire avec les digraphs dans notre repertoire - les permettre ou pas?

Regards,

Chris.
==
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon>