[Latingp] Future of LGP and the vacant chair

Meikal Mumin meikal.mumin at uni-koeln.de
Fri May 27 14:59:15 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

it is really sad that Chris had to step down from the position as chair.
I'm glad that we had him for so long and I am impressed at the amount of
work he saw through together with the group.

I suggest we discuss how to go on from here - What do you all think is the
future of LGP? I think we need a chair, who ideally should receive strong
secretariat support from ICANN to help organize the re-occurring chores of
such a position, such as setting up calendar events, scheduling meetings,
setting polls, helping with the infrastructure of shared documents, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to dedicate that much time to our
group and therefore can not volunteer for such a role. However, I suggest
we communicate to see if anyone among is able and ready to take such a
position either temporarily, or ideally permanently.

If there is no one for the moment, I assume we should talk about if and how
we could operate without, a chair, or if structural changes are needed
(multiple/split chairs) or if we should start reaching out to the community
again until someone presents her or himself with enough support from the
group and the community.

Whatever road we take, I would wish for us to find a way to continue with
this project. We have made good progress from my point of view and I
believe this is important work.

Best wishes,

Meikal