[Latingp] New instructions how to proceed with our test

Mirjana Tasić Mirjana.Tasic at rnids.rs
Sun Feb 5 21:37:52 UTC 2017

Dear GP members,

I am sorry, I am late with this new version of instructions for our test. Last week was very busy for me.

First, I have to thank  Meikal very much for his help, and better version of the table with attested Latin letters. I must confess that I forgot this  letter he sent last summer.

I made the new version of instructions, they could be found in line here and in Google docs too:

01-TEST-How-to-attest-letters-in-Latin-languages-v01<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NRYCtrgYqcK1USIE4AQ-oc5ypWGGq9Th6i9sHCAEF2Y/edit?usp=sharing>

I have tested the instructions, and they look clear to me. Please any comments, suggestions, remarks, questions are most welcome.

Meikal had some other proposals, my opinion is that we can discuss them later.

Regards Mirjana

LATIN GP - How to process Latin letters in specific languages

Proposal - How to proceed with attesting Latin letters in MSR2 using available sources, starting from language alphabets side:

1.The table 01-LanguagesAZ-EGIDS-3-4<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IVZvFVSjkxo4cj-r79j1CzMWLkalj7-19qBA5X0jEyM/edit?usp=sharing> is uploaded to GoogleDocs platform. Every member of GP has editing rights on the table. Table has 86 languages.

2. The second column of the table (Language) has a link to the omniglot entry for this language. If some of the links don’t work this case should be notified in the column Comment for the selected language. Mirjana will correct the link.

3. On the omniglot page for a specific language, usually, the alphabet for the selected language is given. The alphabet is given as image. If there is a need to get character from the alphabet, some other source must be found. On the same page, there are other links that can be used for further identification of characters used in alphabet. Usually, the wikipedia link proves to be very useful.
Notice: only lowercase letters should be considered.

4. When the character is copied to the clipboard following site should be used to get UNICODE representation of the character

http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/character.jsp

If there is difficult to identify specific character in the alphabet, this case should be noted in the column “Comment” of the table 01-LanguagesAZ-EGIDS-3-4<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IVZvFVSjkxo4cj-r79j1CzMWLkalj7-19qBA5X0jEyM/edit?usp=sharing>.

4 . Every letter in the specific alphabet should be investigated and checked against  LatinPart-MSR2-Attestation.V6<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fFe-uo5Gbh6nxf3c8LIoP_UvOpGN9lH-8RoPXAdeq8c/edit?usp=sharing> .  There are three possible cases:

  1.  If the letter is previously marked with CLDR in column “Ref” in the table  LatinPart-MSR2-Attestation.V6<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fFe-uo5Gbh6nxf3c8LIoP_UvOpGN9lH-8RoPXAdeq8c/edit?usp=sharing>, this letter has to be skipped, it is attested.

  1.  If any letter (without CLDR in column Ref) is found, the row in the table must be filled with available information. For this test, the initials of the person processing the letter should be put in the column “Ref”.

  1.  If any new letter, which is not in the table LatinPart-MSR2-Attestation.V6<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fFe-uo5Gbh6nxf3c8LIoP_UvOpGN9lH-8RoPXAdeq8c/edit?usp=sharing>, would be found, it has to be added at the end of table with all available information. For this test, the initials of the person processing the letter should be put in the column “Ref”.

  1.  Minimum set of information on specific new letter that has to be filled in the table are:
     *   Unicode code
     *   Glyph (if the source allows copy/paste function)
     *   Example of language using the code point
     *   UNICODE character name
     *   Comment on the sources which provided relevant information

  2.   When the identification of all characters for a language is done, this should be noted in the column “Processed” of the table  01-LanguagesAZ-EGIDS-3-4<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IVZvFVSjkxo4cj-r79j1CzMWLkalj7-19qBA5X0jEyM/edit?usp=sharing>  as the time in minutes spent for processing the specific language