[Latingp] FW: [Ext] ICANN News Alert -- The Latin Script Community Forms the Generation Panel for Developing the Root Zone Label Generation Rules (LGR)

Ahmed Bakhat Masood ahmedbakhat at pta.gov.pk
Tue May 16 08:35:30 UTC 2017

Dear Dr. Sarmad,

Many thanks for the good news. Congratulations to all of the group.

Best Regards,

Ahmed Bakht Masood
Deputy Director (ICT/Network),
Pakistan Telecom Authority,
Headquarters F-5/1, Islamabad, Pakistan
Phone (O): 0092-51-9225361

From:   Sarmad Hussain <sarmad.hussain at icann.org>
To:     Latin GP <latingp at icann.org>
Date:   05/16/2017 01:19 PM
Subject:        [Latingp] FW: [Ext] ICANN News Alert -- The Latin Script
Sent by:        latingp-bounces at icann.org

Dear All,

Congratulations! Latin Script Generation Panel was announced yesterday.

The news have been published by ICANN.

Regards,
Sarmad

[icann.org]
News Alert
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2017-05-15-en[icann.org]

The Latin Script Community Forms the Generation Panel for Developing the
Root Zone Label Generation Rules (LGR)
ICANN is pleased to announce the formation of the Generation Panel to
develop root zone Label Generation Rules (LGR) for the Latin script.
Following the Call for Generation Panels to Develop Root Zone Label
Generation Rules[icann.org], the Latin script community has submitted to
ICANN the Proposal for Generation Panel for Latin Script Label Generation
Ruleset for the Root Zone (Proposal[icann.org] [PDF, 687 KB],
Appendix[icann.org] [PDF, 2.4 MB]). ICANN organization has reviewed the
proposal including panel composition and scope, to ensure that
requirements set forth in the LGR Procedure[icann.org] [PDF, 772 KB], and
in particular the criteria set forth in the Call for Generation Panels to
Develop Root Zone Label Generation Rules[icann.org], are fulfilled.
"On behalf of ICANN we are grateful to the Latin script community for
volunteering to develop the Latin script LGR proposal for the root zone,"
said Sarmad Hussain from the IDN Program at ICANN.
With composition and work plan approved, the Latin script Generation Panel
will start its work on the label generation rules. According to the LGR
Procedure[icann.org] [PDF, 772 KB], the starting point of any Generation
Panel's work is the Maximal Starting Repertoire (MSR), with its second
version (MSR-2[icann.org]) released on 27 April 2015. The full
specification of Generation Panel's tasks can be found in the LGR
Procedure[icann.org] [PDF, 772 KB] in particular, Section B.3 "Variant
Rule Generation Procedure".
"I'd like to take this opportunity to reiterate our appreciation for the
efforts of many communities towards developing their root zone LGR
proposals," said Sarmad Hussain. "We still have more work to do including
organizing script panels for Hebrew, Myanmar, Sinhala and Tibetan. I
encourage interested parties to lend their skills in support of this
effort.
There are currently LGR efforts underway by Chinese, Cyrillic, Greek,
Japanese, Korean, Latin and Neo-Brahmi communities. In addition, the
Arabic, Armenian, Ethiopic, Georgian, Khmer, Lao and Thai script
communities have finalized their root zone LGR proposals[icann.org], of
which the Arabic script proposal has been integrated in the first edition
of the Root Zone LGR[icann.org].
Learn more about how you can speak up for your language by visiting the
Call for Generation Panels to Develop Root Zone Label Generation
Rules[icann.org].
For further information on the IDN Program at ICANN, please visit
www.icann.org/idn[icann.org]. To start a new Generation Panel or to get
involved in an existing one, please email at IDNProgram at icann.org.
About ICANN
ICANN's mission is to ensure a stable, secure and unified global Internet.
To reach another person on the Internet you have to type an address into
your computer - a name or a number. That address has to be unique so
computers know where to find each other. ICANN coordinates these unique
identifiers across the world. Without that coordination we wouldn't have
one global Internet. ICANN was formed in 1998. It is a not-for-profit
public-benefit corporation with participants from all over the world
dedicated to keeping the Internet secure, stable and interoperable. It
promotes competition and develops policy on the Internet's unique
identifiers. ICANN doesn't control content on the Internet. It cannot stop
spam and it doesn't deal with access to the Internet. But through its
coordination role of the Internet's naming system, it does have an
important impact on the expansion and evolution of the Internet. For more
information please visit: www.icann.org[icann.org]