[Latingp] Variant Working Group - Notes 26 May 2017

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Tue May 30 14:20:49 UTC 2017

Attendees:
Dennis, Bill

Regrets:
Michael, Meikal

NOTES:

  *   Reviewed summary of body of knowledge of Latin Variants (for TLDs) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w76ObHKBuhlMh4ajX07M1x9eNSUiCuhHTq9sNzaBycg/edit
  *   Discussed criteria for variants in the Latin script):
     *   IP’s expectation clearly limits the scope of variants for the Latin script. Their views are supported by other past work products (e.g. Considerations in the Use of the Latin Script in Variant Internationalized Top-Level Domains)
     *   Latin GP may recommend that strong similarity review mechanisms are in place when processing gTLD applications in future rounds to minimize delegation of confusable TLDs.
     *   Draft principle 1: Variants in Latin script will be limited to homoglyphs (i.e. code points designed by Unicode to look identical)
     *   Variant WG will be looking at in-script and cross-script variants.
     *   We need to review code point sequences that involve more than one diacritic.
     *   For cross-script variants we will be looking at Cyrillic, Armenian and Greek work. As well as Unicode’s intentional and confusable character lists. Bill will also share a work of his own.

Work plan is posted here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UM1WdyMC5HIM3jyu3V75yVFQ0ZndguGV3pAMkeDhsZ4/edit

END OF NOTES