[Latingp] Update on outreach in Africa for membership of Latin GP

Ahmed Bakhat ahmedbakhat at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 20:07:43 UTC 2017

Dear Ousmane,
Many thanks for sharing your experience and it is great for the Latin GP  for out reaching. Thanks to Dr. Sarmad and Meikal for their excellent presentations and for communicating the message to African community

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, 30 May 2017 at 6:50 pm, Ousmane MOUSSA TESSA<ousmane.tessa at niger-ren.ne> wrote:   Dear all,

I bear witness to the enthusiasm aroused by this large sample of the
ecosystem of the Internet in Africa during this only one day workshop.
Among the successes of this activity, let's point out the quick adhesion
of these diverse and important stakeholders of the development of
Internet in Africa, even it's the very very first time the subject was
introduced to them.

I have to recognize the good quality of the speakers to convince
"easily" the participants about the rationale of the process. Now, they
are well aware of the strategic importance and the need to involve more
volunteers in order to achieve inclusive results in view of the great
diversity of languages ​​in Africa.

Meikal has demonstrated that it is possible in Africa, just with a
suitable organization and a certain amount of commitment through a
community based process.
Adding to that, Sarmad used his pedagogical skills during practical work
to establish the participants' ability to understand and quickly start
with an example of "repertoire"  of one language they speak and the
importance of variants. I admit that it's easier to work on
"repertoire", whereas the "variants" require a little talent on the
study of languages :)

You did well so that the commitment to start with cases soon is a good
signal for all.

Sorry to be so long! This workshop will ease my participation in Latin
GP work!

Best regards!
Ousmane from Nairobi, Kenya

Le 2017-05-30 13:13, Sarmad Hussain a écrit :
> Dear All,
>
> During the Africa Internet Summit [1], ICANN organized a day-long IDN
> Workshop in Nairobi this Sunday to reach out to the African community
> to explain them the work on Root Zone LGR and to invite the community
> to participate in the Latin GP work.  In the first half of the
> workshop, we gave an overview of the Root Zone LGR project. Meikal
> Mumin gave an excellent presentation on the use of Latin script for
> African languages (and I would suggest that we request him to repeat
> the presentation during our face to face meeting as it raises some
> very interested points). In the second part of the workshop, we
> undertook a hands-on exercise for participants to make the XML based
> LGR for their own languages using the LGRTool online.
>
> We received a lot of interest from the community.  The workshop was
> attended by about 25 participants from varied backgrounds and a quick
> round of introductions indicated that they spoke 30 different
> languages.
>
> As an upshot we have received interest of a few more volunteers from
> Africa to actively contribute to the Latin GP.  In addition, we have
> contacts of participants whom we can reach out  to in case we have
> language specific queries.  Finally, AFTLD has also indicated that
> they can help by reaching out to their members.
>
> Ousmane, who is a member of Latin GP and attended the workshop, could
> add more details.
>
> Regards,
> Sarmad
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://internetsummitafrica.org/

Dr Ousmane MOUSSA TESSA

Chief Executive Officer of NigerREN
                &
Member of the Board of Directors of WACREN