[Latingp] Update on outreach in Africa for membership of Latin GP

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Wed May 31 15:22:47 UTC 2017

From: <latingp-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Sarmad Hussain <sarmad.hussain at icann.org>
Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 7:13 AM
To: Latin GP <latingp at icann.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Latingp] Update on outreach in Africa for membership of Latin GP

Dear All,

During the Africa Internet Summit<https://internetsummitafrica.org/>, ICANN organized a day-long IDN Workshop in Nairobi this Sunday to reach out to the African community to explain them the work on Root Zone LGR and to invite the community to participate in the Latin GP work.   In the first half of the workshop, we gave an overview of the Root Zone LGR project. Meikal Mumin gave an excellent presentation on the use of Latin script for African languages (and I would suggest that we request him to repeat the presentation during our face to face meeting as it raises some very interested points).

> Concur. If slides are available, it would be great to review them ahead of time.

In the second part of the workshop, we undertook a hands-on exercise for participants to make the XML based LGR for their own languages using the LGRTool online.

We received a lot of interest from the community.  The workshop was attended by about 25 participants from varied backgrounds and a quick round of introductions indicated that they spoke 30 different languages.

As an upshot we have received interest of a few more volunteers from Africa to actively contribute to the Latin GP.  In addition, we have contacts of participants whom we can reach out  to in case we have language specific queries.  Finally, AFTLD has also indicated that they can help by reaching out to their members.

Ousmane, who is a member of Latin GP and attended the workshop, could add more details.

Regards,
Sarmad