[Latingp] Variant cross-script analysis worksheets

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Fri Apr 27 18:02:53 UTC 2018

Last call for volunteers …

So far I have Michael and Meikal.

From: Meikal Mumin <meikal at mumin.de>
Date: Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 3:03 AM
To: Dennis Tan Tanaka <dtantanaka at verisign.com>
Cc: Ahmed Bakhat via Latingp <latingp at icann.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Latingp] Variant cross-script analysis worksheets

Dear Dennis,

I would like to contribute to all. I'm OK to take a look at all three if that's helpful.

Thanks,

Meikal

On 25. Apr 2018 at 23:17, Tan Tanaka, Dennis via Latingp <latingp at icann.org<mailto:latingp at icann.org>> wrote:

Dear Latin GP,

The worksheets for cross-script analysis are ready, as follows:

·     Cyrillic: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_AvaG3vgNsozyNs1Cj68HivcWmV7HRwwXz4k9sN9sGs/edit?usp=sharing

·     Greek: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EK9HdI64HXvhGP8XkV9ZSZhePVRWPBxBDXIdLB220zk/edit?usp=sharing

·     Armenian: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SpC8hHecvohEeBveFBQz0Fw7wQAxE9HG9Bu-nwVuL74/edit?usp=sharing

I recommend we start with Cyrillic and Greek, as these can be worked on Google Docs directly. Armenian script support is limited to one font, so we need to decide whether to continue doing the analysis in Google Docs (preferred method because of collaboration features) or do it offline in Excel and then merge the different inputs (more work but doable, I think).

CALL TO ACTION: Please respond to this email if you can help do the cross-script analysis. You can sign-up for one or for all, let me know. The mechanics is very simple:
1.  Each code point needs to be inspected twice by different people. A score needs to be assigned for each font type (Times, Arial and Courier). At the end of each inspection there should be 3 distinct score inputs (Column J for first inspection or Column L for second inspection).
2.  The Scoring System is defined as follows:
·         1 = Identical = the two glyphs are identical in design
·         2 = Nearly Identical = the two glyphs are not exactly identical, but the difference may be attributed to font design (Example: Latin “r” and Cyrillic “г”)
·         3 = Distinguishable = the two glyphs are similar but distinguishable from each other
·         4 = Different = self-explanatory
·         5 = N/A = this means there is no variant candidate found in Latin LGR

If you want to volunteer for this work please answer to this email by no later than noon Friday 27 Easter Time. I will do my best to leave the assignments before I go offline for a few days.

Thank you,
Dennis