[Latingp] Latin In-Script Variants

Bill Jouris bill.jouris at insidethestack.com
Sun Aug 19 23:29:44 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

At our meeting last Thursday, Dennis mentioned in passing that there were “only a few” in-scriptvariants for Latin.  I think this isseriously incorrect.  You may recallthat, at our face-to-face meeting in Brussels last winter, Sarmad expanded thisspreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sj2moWEw4YFLFTcvsiRpjsQRyLZJ7SCnlF78OSYQg04/edit#gid=1268608001to include atab for each letter of the Latin alphabet, and created tables (in each of ourthree fonts) for the variations of each letter. (I am still in awe that he managed to do the whole thing in under anhour!)  I’ve made a few additions to thetables:
   - I’veadded rows and columns for the code points (e.g. from Esperanto) that have beenadded to our repertoire since then.

   - I’veput a few codepoints in additional places. For example, ł (0142 Latin Small LetterL with Stroke) is still with the letter L, but it also got added to the tab forthe letter T.  My thought being that, forthose who do not know Polish and so are unfamiliar with the codepoint, it wouldautomatically be read as a T.
   - I’ve added a column giving the Unicode code foreach glyph.  That should give us a head start, when we got to create a table of variants.

In addition, I’ve taken a stab at rating each pair.  (I’m still slogging thru the letter O.  But the rest are done.)  I have found that it is extremely helpful to highlight theindividual entries: 1 is highlighted in blue, 2 in green, 3 in yellow.  That way, it is far easier to find things inthe sea of ratings.
So far, I have over 25 Variants that I would rate as a 1, andan additional 140+ that I would rate as a 2.  (And, as noted, I've still got the 23 Letter O codepoints to work thru.) Obviously we need a second pair of eyes to look over each case.  But it’s a start.

Clearly this isn’t something that we are going to just whipthru in a week or two.  However,if Mirjana is willing, it occurs to me that we can offer up what I’ve got inthe DRAFT that we are sending to the IP at the end of the month. It won't be our final opinion, of course, but it will at least give them something on which to base feedback – if theydisagree with where I’ve gone, they can tell us, so we can make corrections inour face-to-face meeting.    Bill Jouris
Inside Products
bill.jouris at insidethestack.com
831-659-8360
925-855-9512 (direct)