[Latingp] Variants - Brussels action items

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Mon Feb 5 16:47:21 UTC 2018

Dear Latin GP members,

I hope everyone made it safely back home from Brussels.

We had a productive 3-day-session, so I wanted to take this time to recap on the action items for the variant track.

In no particular order, these are the action items I captured for the variant work stream. Let me know if I missed anything.

  *   Dennis to re-create the worksheets for cross-script analysis.
  *   Mats to search the Unicode database looking for similar cases like the dotless i (i.e. upper case mapping is locale dependent).
  *   Michael to look at other ccTLD idn tables for rules about the Sharp S.
  *   Request Latin GP members to provide evidence of any pair of characters that are used interchangeably (i.e., the pair of distinct characters are considered the same) in some language with the Latin script.
  *   Request Latin GP members to research language references and look for cases of any pair of characters that are used interchangeably in a given language in the Latin script (Guidelines to follow soon).

The last two action items are related. The former is more of a “low hanging fruit”, we want you to tell us what you already know. The latter will require some serious research so no immediate action is required. But more on this will follow soon.

I have asked Sarmad to post the notes from this session in our wiki so that is accessible for everyone.

Thanks,
Dennis