[Latingp] Homoglyphs within Latin script

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Fri Jan 5 15:13:43 UTC 2018

Hi Michael,

They are not the same character. They look alike in lower case, but are different in upper case (i.e. disunification by case property). The IP briefly discussed this case of 01DD and 0259 in their feedback to our Principles document and suggested that these two should not be variants. Hence my question about more evidence.

-Dennis

On 1/5/18, 10:10 AM, "Michael Bauland" <Michael.Bauland at knipp.de> wrote:

    Hi Dennis, hi Mats,

    On 05.01.2018 16:02, Tan Tanaka, Dennis via Latingp wrote:
    > Thanks Mats.
    >

    > A follow up question, is there evidence that these two code points are
    > used interchangeably in the languages the repertoire team analyzed? I
    > ask because the IP will ask for more evidence of a variant relationship
    > besides visual appearance. Per the Procedure “Generation Panels should
    > ignore cases where the relation is based exclusively on aspects of
    > visual similarity”.

    I'm not sure we need additional evidence, because in this case it's not
    mere "visual similarity" but those two are actually the same. And I
    don't think we have another choice in the case of homoglyphs, but to
    make them variants. On the contrary, I think we had to argue if we
    wanted to not make them variants.

    Michael

         |       |
         | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
          -------                    Technologiepark
                                     Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                     44227 Dortmund
                                     Germany

         Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                     Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
         Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
         Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                     Register Court: