[Latingp] Homoglyphs within Latin script

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Fri Jan 5 15:32:59 UTC 2018

Michael, we received this feedback through email (attached). Look for this paragraph:

“In the context of the Root Zone, the Procedure is quite clear in that it considers simple similarity of appearance to be outside the scope of the Root Zone LGR. In admitting exact homoglyphs, the IP has been making the argument that ‘e’ in Latin (U+0065) and ‘е’ in Cyrillic(U+0435) are not just visually indistinguishable, but that their distinct code points effectively represent a disunification by script property. (A disunification not unlike that of 01DD and 0259, which are disunified based on case, or the two sets of Arabic digits disunified largely on directional properties).”

-Dennis

On 1/5/18, 10:29 AM, "Michael Bauland" <Michael.Bauland at knipp.de> wrote:

    Hi Dennis,

    On 05.01.2018 16:13, Tan Tanaka, Dennis wrote:
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > They are not the same character. They look alike in lower case, but are different in upper case (i.e. disunification by case property). The IP briefly discussed this case of 01DD and 0259 in their feedback to our Principles document and suggested that these two should not be variants. Hence my question about more evidence.

    sorry, I must have overlooked this. Which feedback are you talking
    about? Not the one from 2017-03-22 "GP Proposal Latin
    Script_Feedback_IP_V2F.docx", right? Is the document in the Latin GP
    drop box account?

    Michael

         |       |
         | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
          -------                    Technologiepark
                                     Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                     44227 Dortmund
                                     Germany

         Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                     Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
         Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
         Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                     Register Court: