[Latingp] Mapping of non-valid characters to valid

Michael Bauland Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
Mon Nov 12 11:34:14 UTC 2018

Hi Mats,

On 12.11.2018 11:00, Mats Dufberg wrote:
> Is edent.℡a valid domain? And norid.№? Well, both https://www.norid.№/
> <https://www.norid.%E2%84%96/> and https://edent.℡/
> <https://edent.%E2%84%A1/> work in the browser.

this is really interesting. I didn't know this works. Nice to know, as I
personally also use a .℡ domain.

I don't think that we should incorporate this in our variant
considerations, though. After all, we only look at normalised versions.
I think the argument is similar to upper case characters. We don't look
at TEL or TeL oder similar, and that's why from my point of view we also
shouldn't look at ℡.

Best regards,

Michael

     |       |
     | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                    Technologiepark
                                 Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                 44227 Dortmund
                                 Germany

     Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                 Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
     Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
     Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                 Register Court: