[Latingp] in-script analysis homework

Meikal Mumin meikal.mumin at uni-koeln.de
Wed Oct 10 09:29:57 UTC 2018

Dear Dennis & Colleagues,

I saw your message, but didn’t get around to replying earlier.

I checked your document and agree with the others that it is a good format.

Regarding the Stacking cases - the short answer is I think yes. But to avoid misunderstandings (I’m not entirely sure what you refer to by 'on the first case‘) let me explain the way I see it:

It is my understanding that the way the modifiers are stacked or placed over one another and the base characters is dependent on the way the glyph featuring those modifiers was designed in the font. Therefore I assume it should be independent of the following character and in my understanding we need the following character to demonstrate plausiblity, i.e. an e with a circumflex and a grave above followed by a simple a may not be confused for a sequence of an e with only a circumflex above followed by an a with a grave above if there is not a with a grave above in the repertoire. But if the first character - in the example the e with a circumflex and a grave above - is encoded constistently in the majority of fonts with both modifiers correctly positioned over one another and only over that base letter there is no point in my eyes in testing several sequences since it it will all yield the same result - the ‚Stacking‘ on the first character is correctly rendered and there can be no confusion.

Does that answer your question?

Best wishes,

Meikal