[Latingp] Single character equivalent to two

Michael Bauland Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
Thu Oct 11 09:30:18 UTC 2018

Hi Mats,

> Michael, can you describe the standards in German?

it is similar. We have the non-ASCII characters
ä, ö, ü, and ß and the generally accepted transliteration is
ä => ae
ö => oe
ü => ue
ß => ss

And as you say, there is also an IDD field in our passports where this
transliteration is used.

Contrary to Sweden, the same is also generally used for domain names in
Germany. For example the official website for the city of Munich (in
German München) is www.muenchen.de and not www.munchen.de.
Similarly the city of Münster is available at muenster.de or
stadt-muenster.de. Nobody would think of looking at munster.de ... which
by the way is even a different city in Germany: Munster.

Nevertheless the transliterations is not a free choice that can be used
everywhere you like. With computers it's slightly more common, but if
you read a newspaper, book or similar printed media, you would be very
surprised to see those transliterations.

The German registry Denic, does not consider those characters as
variants. Two completely different entities may (and actually have)
register gruen.de and grün.de (the colour green).

Cheers,

Michael

     |       |
     | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                    Technologiepark
                                 Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                 44227 Dortmund
                                 Germany

     Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                 Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
     Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
     Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                 Register Court: