[Latingp] Latin Small Letter Sharp S (ß) U+00DF

Michael Bauland Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
Mon Aug 26 07:34:21 UTC 2019

Hi all,

>> Second, I want to comment on the Option for Sharp S and double S with
>> no variant relationship.  I have a question for those who are more
>> fluent in German than I -- which is most of you.  Are there any
>> examples of two different German words which are identical except that
>> one is rendered with a Sharp S and the other is rendered strictly with
>> a double S?
>
> In short - many: masse vs maße, reisen vs reißen, weise vs weiße, muse
> vs muße, busen vs bußen. And those examples don‘t even include proper
> names, such as personal or place names, which should be more than the
> examples from the lexicon.

Just a short comment: most of the examples don't have a double S, but
only a single one. So I guess they're not relevant. However your first case
* Masse and Maße (mass and measurements) as well as
* Rußen and Russen (sooting and Russians)
would be two examples.

I will now catch up with the other topics and talk to you all this Thursday.

Cheers,

Michael

     |       |
     | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                    Technologiepark
                                 Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                 44227 Dortmund
                                 Germany

     Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                 Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
     Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
     Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                 Register Court: