[Latingp] Suggested schedule to finish Version 5

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Mon Jun 3 14:57:24 UTC 2019

Comments in-line below

From: Latingp <latingp-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Bill Jouris <bill.jouris at insidethestack.com>
Date: Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 1:56 PM
To: "latingp at icann.org" <latingp at icann.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Latingp] Suggested schedule to finish Version 5

A couple of points:

Availability: I’ll be on vacation thru the middle of July: 12th - 21st  . [DT] Noted. Thank you.
Task owners: Shouldn’t the task owner for 1.1.2, the Sharp S section, be Michael rather than Dennis? [DT] I have no doubt Michael would do a fine job on this, but since I led the discussion during the Feb workshop I’d like to follow through until the end.

We also need an additional section:

1.1.5  Misc.  [for lack of a better title] [DT] This is actually 1.1.4. We just need to get started with it and adjust the timeline if need be.

We have a bunch of pairs of possible variants which don’t fit any of the categories listed here. ( In some cases, we may manage to discern a general principle for a few of them.  However I suspect that it won't be worth the effort, in most cases, to try to come up with one.  Mostly we are just going to have to go thru them one by one.)  We aren’t going to get to that before we send off the latest version to the IP -- however we can work on them while awaiting the IP's feedback.  Still we shouldn’t lose track of them either.

To take just one example of the Misc group, by way of illustration, consider k (006B) and ƙ (0199).  The Small Letter K with Hook occurs only Hausa.  Those familiar with that language, trained linguists, and Unicode experts may be able to spot the difference.  But outside that tiny population, the vast majority of users, even the IP’s “reasonable careful user”, will simply never realize that there is something there to see.  Could they find the difference if they looked at the two glyphs side by side?  Perhaps.  But as the IP has been at some pains to remind us, users will not have the luxury of side-by-side comparison when looking at a domain name.

Bill Jouris
Inside Products
bill.jouris at insidethestack.com
831-659-8360