[Latingp] Visual Variants

Michael Bauland Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
Thu Nov 28 07:56:35 UTC 2019

Hi Bill,

On 27.11.2019 18:55, Bill Jouris wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We are making good progress on the ratings.  Thank you.
>
> I do wonder about something.  The Hawaiian Okina (02BB) is excluded from
> MSR (and thus our repertoire) because of its similarity to the
> apostrophe (02B6).
>  ʻ vs ’
>
> Yet the difference there is /larger/ than that between the Dot Above
> (0307) and the Acute Accent (02CA).
>  · vs ˊ
>
> Do those of you who do not consider the latter to be variants have any
> thoughts on that?

yes, I have some thoughts. :-)

I agree that Okina and apostrophe are distinguishable (as from my point
of view is dot above and acute accent).
On the other hand, if Okina needs to be excluded due to similarity with
apostrophe, I personally would also exclude acute accent due to
similarity with apostrophe. But I guess that cannot happen as it would
anger a large (and important) part of the population, including members
of the IP.

To summarise, I disagree with taking out some of the characters
(including the middle dot used in Catalan) from MSR, but that does not
make me change my opinion that dot above and acute accent are
distinguishable.

Cheers,

Michael

     |       |
     | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                    Technologiepark
                                 Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                 44227 Dortmund
                                 Germany

     Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                 Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
     Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
     Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                 Register Court: