[Latingp] Consistency in analysis

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Thu Oct 24 17:29:11 UTC 2019

All, let me try to explain the problem of excluding certain code points from different sets when doing the analysis.

Let’s assume two scenarios for the hypothetical analysis:

Scenario 1:

Set 1 = {A, B}

Set 2 = {A, C}

For Set 1, it was concluded A is a variant of B.

In Set 2, it was concluded A is not a variant of C.

Then, the only resulting variant set is A --> B (symmetry implied)

Scenario 2:

                Set 1 = {A, B}

                Set 3 = {A, B, C}

                For Set 1, A is deemed variant of B

                In Set 3, A is deemed variant of B, B deemed a variant of C, but A not a variant of C.

                The resulting variant sets are A --> B, B--> C; and due to transitivity A-->C is also a variant pair.

My point was that by excluding a code point from the analysis can result in different result as to the variant sets identified.

Hope this helps clarify.

Dennis